Where You've Seen Us...
Improve Your Oral Health By Oil Pulling With Coconut Oil
Have you ever wondered if there was anything else you could do to improve your oral health? After all not everyone is born with beautiful, straight, white, healthy teeth and gums.
You may or may not have heard the term “Oil Pulling”
It’s an old Ayurvedic dental technique that purportedly pulls the toxins out of your body to not only improve your oral health but your overall health.
Dr. Mercola Discusses a Simple Oral Health Technique
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/08/coconut-oil-combats-tooth-decay.aspx?x_cid=youtube Natural health physician and Mercola.com fou…
The technique is quite simple
Take a tablespoon of oil. Although you could use most any kind of oil, I personally prefer Coconut Oil because of the sweet taste and the fact it’s been proven to contain anti-microbial properties that kill harmful bacteria.
Swish the oil in your mouth, preferably in the morning on an empty stomach, for around 20 minutes. Spit the oil out in a cup and dispose in the trash. Brush your teeth or gargle with a baking soda solution by mixing 1 cup of water with a teaspoon of baking soda.
In the beginning you may find it difficult to swish the oil for the full 20 minutes. Some people have reported the gag reflex kicks in or jaw soreness from vigorous pulling.
Here’s a couple of starter tips…
- Start with a small amount of oil, maybe 2 teaspoons and work up to the full tablespoon.
- Swish for 5 minutes the first day. 10 minutes the second day. 15 minutes the third day. And, finally 20 minutes every day going forward. Even a short amount of time is enough to increase saponification in the mouth, creating a soapy environment that cleanses out the harmful bacteria and reduces fungal overgrowth.
- Relax your jaws and gently swish to avoid the jaw soreness
Why does Oil Pulling work better than any other oral hygiene product?
Oil pulling works by cleaning your mouth inside out. Lauric acid, one of the fatty acids found in coconut oil has proven anti-microbial properties. In essence, it can kill bacteria, viruses and fungi. With this ancient Indian technique you will be able to clear out all of the unwelcome inhabitants in your mouth and create a much safer oral environment.
Other possible oral health benefits include:
- Strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws
- Prevention of gum and mouth diseases such as cavities and gingivitis
- Prevention of bad breath
- A holistic remedy for bleeding gums, TMJ and general soreness in and around the jaws
- Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
Possible overall health benefits include:
- Relief from migraines
- Improving hormone imbalances
- Reducing inflammation of arthritis
- Help with gastro-enteritis
- Reducing eczema
- Reducing symptoms of bronchitis and sinus congestion
- Supporting normal kidney function
- Improving vision
- Reducing insomnia
- Reduced hangover after alcohol consumption
- Reducing pain
- Reducing symptoms associated with allergies
- Detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms
Oil pulling is an easy commitment to make to improve your oral hygiene and overall health. Not to mention an economical alternative to chemical laden mouthwashes or costly dental procedures associated with oral diseases.
The entire procedure can be accomplished while performing other daily tasks like taking a shower, tidying up the house, mowing the lawn or folding the laundry, just to name a few.
And, once you start to oil pull on a regular basis I’m confident you’ll be impressed with the results.
Ever try oil pulling? What do you think? We’d love to hear your thoughts.